Friday, April 27, 2012

HD44780 Custom Graphics Generator

Previously, I used to use Sparkfun's serial LCD, which is really neat and very easy to use, however, it is a lil buggy sometimes and the PCB takes wider space. So, I decided to go back in time and use the bare LCD with HD44780 controller (also I got it from sparkfun).

So After I got it, my plan was to write my own code to drive it, but then my laziness beat my excitness :P

Searching in the web, I came across this really awesome and very easy to use library from Peter Fleury to drive the LCD which I tried and liked. It is really awesome to get started with these LCDs

On the example code, he shows how easy it is to create a custom character eg.: the Copyright symbol by simply defining the 0s and 1s (for this specific example two character cells are required, hence two lines)


static const PROGMEM unsigned char copyRightChar[] =
{
    0x07, 0x08, 0x13, 0x14, 0x14, 0x13, 0x08, 0x07,
    0x00, 0x10, 0x08, 0x08, 0x08, 0x08, 0x10, 0x00
};


so I decided to make it even easier, I made a visual basic program :)



you only need to dray on the Image area by clicking on individual pixels


The result is displayed on the Preview area, and the actual code is on the text box, very simple!




same as the above picture but inverted :D

It doesn't look like a heart? yea, excuse my drawing abilities






yea, Arabic as well :D

You can download the program form here


No comments:

Post a Comment